Devil’s Food Cake Ingredients:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 9 oz bottle maraschino cherries chopped
- 1 cup maraschino cherry juice (you can usually find the bottles by the ice cream in Publix)
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 package instant chocolate pudding.
Homemade Cherry Curd or a can of cherry pie filling.
- ½ stick butter at room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tea vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
For the cake:
Mix all ingredients, blending well with a mixer. Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 9 inch cake pans lined with parchment paper (or 24 cup cakes with liners), for the cake, place in a cool oven and then turn the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes in pans and turn out to wire racks to cool completely. For cupcakes, bake at 330 degrees for 18 – 23 minutes depending on your oven. It takes about 20 minutes in mine.
When I make the cake, I put the cherry curd between the layers (I pipe a ring of icing around the outside to keep it from oozing out) with cupcakes, I inject it into the cupcakes.
Cream the cream cheese and butter, mix in vanilla and slowly add the powdered sugar and cocoa until smooth, ice the cake or pipe onto the cupcakes.