Italian Wedding Cup Cake Ingredients:
- 1 (18.25-ounce) box white cake mix
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk (I used skim milk and added some lemon juice as we had no buttermilk)
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup sweetened flake coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, divided
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Fill cupcake pan with 24 liners: set aside. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, butter, buttermilk, egg whites, and extracts. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping down sides of the bowl as needed. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Fold in crushed pineapple, coconut, and 1 cup pecans. Divide batter into cupcake liners. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until tester inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes then turn out on to wire racks to cool completely.
Frost with a cream cheese frosting:
I make mine using a block of cream cheese at room temperature, 1 tbs vanilla, 1 lb of powdered sugar and sometimes a pinch of salt and a little sour cream to give it a tang.